The summer season has officially begun. It's all about holidays and road trips. If you, too, are planning to go on an exciting road trip this summer with your friends or family, make sure that your vehicle is in the best condition. This is the best way to have a fun and safe vacation without the hassle and expensive breakdowns.
So, to make things easy, we have curated a checklist for you to make sure your vehicle is ready for summer road trips:
As tires come in direct contact with the road, it is essential to ensure they are properly inflated and free from any defects. This is much needed to maximize driving enjoyment, stay safe and reduce the risk of accidents. Therefore, the key considerations for tire maintenance are:
- Air pressure- It should be checked at least every 1000 miles. Also, as gas stations on the road may not have a pressure gauge, it makes sense to keep a handy air pressure gauge in the glove box of your car.
- Keep a jack and an extra tire in your trunk in case you have a flat tire along the way and need to change it.
- Also, if you notice wear on the tires, check with a tire expert immediately for car repairs needed before you go on a road trip.
A variety of specialized fluids are used in modern-day cars to ensure the longevity and operational performance of a vehicle. Therefore, check your fluids before you hit the road. This includes:
- Engine Oil- This is the lifeblood of your car. It keeps the vehicle's engine parts lubricated and clean, so they run smoothly. However, changing your oil every three months or after 3000 miles is recommended, especially in hot climates. This is because the high temperatures require higher oil viscosity. So, make sure to check your engine oil and change it if needed.
- Power Steering Fluid- Power steering systems use a fluid for optimal performance. However, it gets contaminated over time and can cause leaks and damage to your system. So, make sure to change it regularly to avoid contamination and ensure smooth driving.
- Brake Fluid-This is needed to build hydraulic pressure so that the brakes work at their optimal levels. But if this fluid gets contaminated, it can absorb moisture which can lower the braking performance. Therefore, visit a trusted auto shop to get your fluids checked to avoid problems on the road.
Check Your AC Performance
A fully-functional AC is an absolute must when going on a road trip during the hot summer months. So, invest in AC servicing to promptly address all problems, such as worn-out AC compressor, broken thermostat, blocked air vents, and no coolant.
Car batteries often die in the summer heat, especially if you don't change your battery after every three years. So, another great tip is to either get your battery tested for performance or install a new unit as a preventative measure to avoid any inconvenience on the road. Besides this, it is the best way to ensure you don't have to make unplanned pit stops because of battery issues.
For more information or urgent auto repairs and vehicle maintenance, contact us. We extend our services to everyone in the Davenport and Quad Cities areas. Let our certified and qualified automobile experts check and repair your ride to ensure it is in perfect condition for summer road trips.